Arts + Culture
Print article

Paris in the rain: street photography inspired by the French masters

Poring over the books at La Hune, I was captivated by the observations of everyday life as recorded by French masters such as Cartier-Bresson, Doisneau, Brassaï and American Elliott Erwitt. Inspired by a magical moment on the Pont Alexandre III when a passing thunderstorm swept through the city, I took these photographs…

7869716892_feae41f86f_o

7869717268_4dd9622711_o

7869717492_c9cd9f5f35_o

7869717894_bba5139195_o

7869718304_3e8f74bf6b_o

Image credits: All photographs ©Kah Kit Yoong.

Join the conversation

6 Comments

1. geraldine
    7 years ago

Thanks Kah Kit for sharing these pictures with us! I LOVE the one with the Pont des arts under the rain. It looks like it’s in the middle of a giant cloud of water. You might have been wet too! 🙂

On your website, I love your pictures from Scotland. Want to go to Isle of Lewis right now.

Cheers,

Géraldine

2. Celine Mangiardi
    7 years ago

Beautiful pictures!
    I don’t really like Paris under the rain but your pictures are a real pleasure for the eyes!

3. clairegomolla
    7 years ago

Thank you Kah Kit for these beautiful pictures, I really love the way you use the greyness and rain with your lens, it looks like a romantic landscape.

4. Kah Kit Yoong
    7 years ago

Thanks Geraldine. Yes Lewis and Harris have an edge of the world feel to it. But so does some of the awesome coastal locations I visited in Brittany recently.

5. Kah Kit Yoong
    7 years ago

Thanks Celine and Claire. I guess some people don’t like the rain but when I took the photo on the Pont Alexandre I was absolutely drenched to the bone by an unexpected and massive deluge that day. It didn’t last long but I never felt so alive photographing in Paris as during that storm. Although about an hour later I was quite cold and had to strip off and change on the Champs Elysee; for some reason I had change of clothes in my bag that day. Also the camera stopped working for a few days after that shot.

6. Virginia Jones
    7 years ago

Beautiful images. Proves that we all love Paris when it drizzles. A downpour is another story altogether for photographers!
    V