Best of French in New York: Winter Restaurant Week – a French foodie paradise
Being a New Yorker on a budget is hard. Especially when you’re a die-hard fan of all things French and all things food. The city has so many French restaurants it’s difficult to keep track, and some of the best ones are, of course, also the most expensive.
But that’s why we have Restaurant Week. An important time of year for any food lover, and a great way for all Francophiles to indulge in all things French while still on a budget.
This is a big deal for yours truly. Admittedly, when I hear the words “restaurant week” I start to swoon a little. My heart starts to flutter and if you ask me a direct question I might actually stutter when I start speaking, because all I can think of is $38 prix fixe menus at some of the best restaurants in NYC. Restaurants, that, on a normal day with normal menu prices, I’d only get to look at longingly through the window, like a poor little French foodie orphan.
The list of participating restaurants is quite long, and some are without a doubt quite stellar. Some notable French restaurants participating that will appeal to all French expats and French food loving Francophiles:
1. Le Cirque – classically French and even more classically New York City.
2. Bistro La Promenade in Chelsea – a little bit of the French Riviera and all its flavors in Chelsea.
3. Bar Boulud – one of French chef and Lyon native Daniel Boulud’s many notable restaurants.
4. Brasserie – classic French cuisine with a modern twist.
5. L’Ecole – The French Culinary Institute (need I say more?).
6. Nougatine – a casual Jean-Georges French staple.
The full list of participating restaurants (French and otherwise) can be found here.
If you happen to be in NYC for a visit definitely take advantage of the deals that Restaurant Week has to offer. And if you’re a local, like myself, dust off that French foodie wishlist and make your reservations before they fill up.
1. NYC Restaurant Week official website
2. Byron Smith, 2012, for the Wall Street Journal via Time Out New York
3. L’Ecole via Haute Living
4. Le Cirque via New York Restaurants