MyFrenchLife™ French Book Club BOOK 2 UPDATE – Édouard Louis, The End of Eddy
Dear members and readers,
This summary update is designed for all those who are taking part in our French bestsellers Book Club and are seeking a quick catch-up…
It’s time to buy your second book!
‘The End of Eddy’ or ‘En finir avec Eddy Bellegueule’ by Édouard Louis.
Édouard Louis: a bit of background
This book, first published in 2014, was an instant bestseller – and was very much talked about in France. It’s the sensational coming-of-age story of Édouard Louis, born in 1992, who was only 22 at the time of publication.
As in ‘The Perfect Nanny’, the short opening line sets the tone:
From my childhood, I have no happy memories.
This 200-page narrative is so captivating that you may only be able to put it down at the end!
Please do let us know if you’re going to read with us, as we continue this journey of discovery of modern French literature!
Assuming you also have your own opinions on this topic, I’d like you to share with us before reading…
1. How much do you know about rural poor Northern France? Can you name a few cities? Have you seen the very popular French comedy ‘Les Ch’tis’?
2. Isn’t it contradictory to call a novel an autobiography?
As we’re all ‘remote’ book club members, here’s where YOU GET INVOLVED:
- The MyFrenchLife™ Facebook community page and our Goodreads group are great platforms for sharing thoughts and discussions live.
- You will also be able to participate in the comments section of the articles and updates posted simultaneously on the MyFrenchLife™ site.
- Here is the Reading List article.
What are your initial impressions of ‘The End of Eddy’ by Édouard Louis? Here’s where you can GET INVOLVED. Please share your thoughts and comments on the MyFrenchLife™ Facebook community page or in our Goodreads group.
1. The End of Eddy, via Amazon
2. En finir avec Eddy Bellegueule, via Amazon