Christmas en français: Festive Vocabulary
Hoping to impress this festive season? Then why not try a few of our choicest French Christmas words and phrases!
This year, we’re dreaming of…
Discover more festival vocabulary in Part Two!
Do you have any favourite Christmas words, phrases or expressions? We’d love to hear them! Tell us in a comment below, or tweet us: @MaVieFrancaise, #MyFrenchChristmas.Image credits:
1. Advent calendar, by FergieFam007 on Flickr
2. Snow Ball, by masev on Flickr
3. Shepherd, by CaféFroid on Flickr
4. Hannah Duke
5. In a Greenwich junk shop, by DG Jones on Flickr
6. Ribbons II, by swimparallel on Flickr Note: This popular article has been refreshed and republished late in 2021
This piece is gorgeous – thanks Hannah!
I particularly like the word for snowman – un bonhomme de neige (so much more fun in French than English)!
It’s such a good word isn’t it! Glad you enjoyed it, merci Sarah. 🙂
“Réveillon” is an interesting word because it includes the idea of staying awake. It’s also used for celebrating New Year.